Friday, October 2, 2009

Aunt Sue ponders...

Aunt Sue here...blogging for the first time!(thanks to my son in law and excellent blogger, Hans:) Last Thursday morning I was attending a moms club at our church. Pam Olson, trainer of "Love and Logic" parenting method(author Charles Fey, www.loveandlogic.com )was the special speaker. I have heard her before and really support alot of the ideas that are taught to parents. The basic philosophy behind Love and Logic is to "train" your child to make choices that are beneficial to them. So at every age level the training looks different, but behind it all is the love a parent has for their child...a kind of love that looks way beyond the moment you are in, to the reality that as they grow "beyond you" as a parent, you have an opportunity to teach the important skills that will enable your child to know that their choices have consequences, good or bad.

As I was sitting at that meeting, surrounded by young moms with little people on their laps, I started to think about our family book club and the book we are reading by Andy Stanley and how this is a continual process for us all, isn't it? Every little step by every medium step, by every leap we make along the path God gives us...and in my view "step=choice".

I love the use of Proverbs in the first chapters. What do you think about their family choosing a verse that guides them? Anyone have a verse to share that helps guide them?

This Sunday we will cheer Hans on as he runs the Milwaukee marathon he has been training for...GO HANS! I watched Uncle Steve train for this run, up until his injury that stopped it all, and it is work! But crossing that finish line must be an awesome feeling. So when I think of all of you dear family I say "GO PEOPLE I LOVE!"and thank God for you all...
OK, what chapters are next again, what's the deadline:)?

2 comments:

Heather Haas said...

Aunt Sue,
I love you and miss you. Thanks for your ponderings.

Hans Schiefelbein said...

I agree: step=choice. The principle of the path is about making good choices which are a result of good habits and then decisions. And there are no insignificant steps or choices. Each one takes us towards our intended direction or away from it.