Friday, November 27, 2009

Reflections of the Heart (Ch. 5 - Hans)

In chapter five Andy Stanley talks about how we can deceive ourselves if we listen to our heart rather than pay attention to what’s prudent.  “The heart is deceitful above all things.”  (Jer.17:9)  The tendency of the human heart is to turn inwards.  Sure, we think we have a giving spirit and consider the needs of others.  But by default (and too often) I think about myself and my needs first and foremost.

As I reflect on this chapter I realize that my heart deceives me by saying, “take care of yourself so that you can take care of your family.”  While there is some truth here, it’s very easy to live every day starting with me and maybe getting to everyone else. 

How does your heart deceive you?  For me it’s my desire for knowledge.  In college I struggled through my first couple years of classes because chemistry, anthropology and zoology just couldn’t hold my attention.  But when I got into courses on exercise and education, courses which applied to my area of interest, I really started to excel in the classroom.  I became a knowledge junkie.  After two years of loading my brain with useless material, all of a sudden I was learning things that fascinated me and drove me to learn more.  I was learning about how people learn and the science behind exercise and its affect on the body.  Call me a geek – no really, you can call me a geek.  I’ve accepted my identity as a book worm.  But it’s this search for knowledge that allowed me to do well in school and begin to discover my passion in life.

So for me it’s been a struggle for me to take care of myself and my quest for knowledge before I take care of my family.  I'm not an absent father.  I don't isolate myself and leave Katie and Sorin alone.  But if I'm honest with myself, I have a deep inner gravitation towards seeking more knowledge.  Why?  Because I want to provide for my family.  Because I want to be the best I can be.  Because I want to set a good example of a dad who is disciplined and works hard.  Those are good motivations, but I can't let good overtake great.  Great motivations are quality and quantity time with my family.

What I really appreciate about this chapter is the focus on how important it is to reflect on your heart and its motivations in your life.  Stanley readily admits that this chapter is nothing new to anyone.  But I think it is only a very disciplined person who examines his heart and searches for answers to how he organizes his day’s time and priorities.

No comments: